Lung owing to your location and physiological map is in contact with many pollutants and viruses that become it susceptible to many diseases such as asthma, malignant neoplastic disease, grippe, SARS ( THOMAS et al. , 2007 ) . Diseases lung have high deadliness and prevalence, therefore many research to happen the effectual intervention or a vaccinum to these disease is being studied ( BITKO et al. , 2005 ; THOMAS et al. , 2007 ) .
The viruses have some characteristics that become hard the bar and therapy. To work out the jobs faced with traditional anti-viral therapies, researches are being done utilizing siRNA ( BITKO et al. , 2005 ) . The siRNA has some advantages compared to other gene/antisense therapies, they are 10-100-fold more powerful for cistron silencing, specific suppression and low hazard of toxic effects ( DURCAN et al. , 2008 ; OZPOLAT et al. , 2010 ) .
The therapy with RNAi have several advantages to be used in the intervention of diseases caused by respiratory virus: ( 1 ) there are first-class cognition about the sequence of these virus, so is easy to happen possible mark sequence, ( 2 ) the surveies with virus have taught which are the cardinal viral cistrons for reproduction, ( 3 ) the viral cistrons are exogenic to the human genome, than can diminish opportunities of side effects, ( 4 ) the development of RNAi therapeutics is potentially more fast than traditional little molecule attacks, which is of import in respiratory viruses that can do sudden epidemics, ( 5 ) it is possible choice siRNA against sequences that is more conserved in the different discrepancies of virus unlike the traditional molecule antivirals that are chiefly designed to suppress surface proteins, that are frequently most genetically variable, ( 6 ) the bringing of siRNA is facilitated because the infections are topical, the respiratory syncytial virus ( RSV ) basically infects ciliated respiratory epithelial cells ( DEVINCENZO, 2008 ) .
The therapeutics agents can be administrated by multiples paths to handle lung disease: endovenous ( i.v. ) , intranasal ( i.n. ) , intratracheal ( i.t. ) , hypodermic, intratumor, intramuscular or unwritten. These paths of disposal determine which are extracellular barriers to siRNA bringing to the lung ( THOMAS et al. , 2007 ) .
The systemic bringings of siRNA have some of import obstructions consisting rapid debasement by nucleases, systemic toxicity, rapid elimination and inefficient mark to the unwellness organ or cell type ( DURCAN et al. , 2008 ) .
The bringing by intranasal and intratracheal path is interesting and operable path for the specific bringing of siRNA to lung ( THOMAS et al. , 2007 ) . The advantages of the intranasal bringing are a noninvasive method of bringing, lower systemic toxicity and immediate handiness, that can be explain due the lungs be extremely vascularized composed by capillary beds that permit the rapid consumption cell ( DURCAN et al. , 2008 ) . The airway disposal so is favourable because the debasement of siRNA by nucleases is non important in the air passage ( THOMAS et al. , 2007 ) . However, the bringing through air passage is non easy, after pneumonic disposal, the cistron bringing encounter physical barriers such as cilia crushing and mucociliary clearance and others of import barriers like airway surface liquid ( ASL ) that cover the airway epithelial cells and the cell membrane surface is negatively charged ( GUTBIER et al. , 2010 ; ROSENECKER et al. , 2003 ; THOMAS et al. , 2007 ) . The barriers to nucleic acerb transportation in airway ephitelial cells can besides impact the efficiency of the cell consumption in vivo ( GRIESENBACH et al. , 2006 ) . Griensenbach et Al. ( 2006 ) in your survey about new schemes for the intervention of cystic fibrosis tested siRNA complexed with the cationic lipid Genzyme lipoid ( GL ) 67 and concluded that although siRNA can be inhibit cistron look in civilization systems and determined variety meats in vivo, the barriers to bringing to the lung can damage the efficiency of consumption in vivo.
The chief restriction for efficient cellular consumption of bare siRNA is the anatomy and morphology of the lung epithelial tissue, so many surveies have been developed bringing system to siRNA ( GUTBIER et al. , 2010 ) . There are researches to develop viral and non-viral bringing systems to outgrow extracellular and intracellular barriers that limit curative usage of nucleic acid-based drugs ( HOWARD et al. , 2006 ) . Howard et.al. ( 2006 ) developed a new bringing system of chitosan/siRNA nanoparticle based on the usage of an active siRNA agent to organize nanoparticles through electrostatic Bridgess between chitosan polymeric ironss. The surveies in vitro and in vivo, utilizing transgenic EGFP mouse theoretical account, showed that this original system can be used for both in vitro and in vivo RNA intervention protocols and can in the hereafter to be used in the intervention of systemic and mucosal disease.
The success of cistron hushing in the lungs by siRNA depends on the proper release in the sites of action, be stable, uptake celular and be present in satisfactory concentrations in the cytol ( DURCAN et al. , 2008 ) .
There are many surveies demoing the possible applications of siRNA local bringing to the lung, and the experiments with animate beings promoting following with the surveies to happen interventions of lung disease.
Severe acute respiratory syndrome ( SARS ) is a disease that has the SARS coronavirus ( SCV ) as the causative pathogen, those infected with SCV by and large develop high febrility followed by terrible clinical symptoms including acute respiratory hurt syndrome with a diffuse alveolar harm ( DAD ) at necropsy. SARS is a new disease so, safe and effectual vaccinum is non exist yet, though the hunts for its development have been advanced ( LI et al. , 2005 ; THOMAS et al. , 2007 ) .
Li et Al. ( 2005 ) utilizing like carnal theoretical account Rhesus macaque, administrated the siSC2-5 ( a mixture of two SCV-specific siRNA semidetached houses, siSC2 and siSC5 ) , a powerful inhibitor of SCV RNA in solution D5W ( 5 % D-glucose in H2O, wt/vol, made in-house ) that showed to be really effectual bearer through intranasal instillment to miming the natural path of SCV infection of worlds with SARS. The siSC2-5 was administrated with contraceptive, coincident or early postexposure interventions within a period of 5 d.p.i. , and all the intervention regimens showed powerful suppression of SCV. This survey support that the intranasal disposal is preferred under pro-inflammatory cytokine interventions, because allow a high-specificity suppression of SCV with minimum initiation of a pro-inflammatory cytokine antiviral response that can help forestall the aggravation of symptoms and lung hurt.
Respiratory syncytial virus ( RSV ) , is a member of the Pneumovirinae subfamily in the Pneumovirus genus, there are two major groups of human RSV, serotypes A and B ( ALVAREZ et al. , 2009 ) . It is an enveloped, non-segmented, negative-stranded RNA virus, is the pathogen responsible for the most serious respiratory infections like bronchiolitis and pneumonia in babies and immature kids ( THOMAS et al. , 2007 ; ZHANG et al. , 2005 ) . RSV infected fundamentally all the kids with less two old ages old and in the aged is an of import cause of morbidity and mortality ( BITKO et al. , 2005 ) . There is no vaccinum to forestall RSV really ( BITKO et al. , 2005 ; ZHANG et al. , 2005 ) and the merely recognized therapy ( Virazole ) is seldom used due to its possible teratogenicity, limited antiviral consequence, and controversial clinical effectivity ( DEVINCENZO et al. , 2010 ) .
Bikto et Al. ( 2005 ) studied siRNA against P protein, an indispensable fractional monetary unit of the viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase. The siRNA was efficient in vitro and in vivo. They used BALB/c mouse like a well-established animate being theoretical account for RSV infection, and siRNA was administered with and without transfection reagent ( transITTKO ) by intranasal path. At a dosage of 5 nmol intranasal siRNA per mouse, siRNA reduced pneumonic RSV titres by about 99.98 % . The siRNA without transfection reagent besides reduced pneumonic viral titres, this consequences is interesting because intranasal siRNA without any bearer cut down the possible side consequence that this transfection reagent can do. The determination consequences showed that siRNA administrated consequently can be utile to forestall and to handle the respiratory infection.
Zhang et.al. ( 2005 ) besides studied siRNA against RSV, but their mark were NS. NS ( NS1 and NS2 ) is a protein and has an of import function in viral reproduction and barricading them can extenuate the RSV reproduction. To turn out this, Zhang and colleagues check the authority of siNS1 to suppress RSV reproduction in vitro and in vivo. The in vitro trial was performed utilizing civilized human epithelial cells. To analyze whether siNS1 besides is effectual in vivo it was used BALB/c mice, the siNS1 was complexed with a nanochitosan polymer, referred to as Nanogene 042 ( NG042 ) . The nanoparticles were administrated as a rhinal bead 2 vitamin D before viral vaccination. Besides they tested the curative potency of NG042-siNS1, for this they administered the NG042-siNS1 composite to mice at twenty-four hours 0 along with RSV vaccination or at twenty-four hours 2 or 3 after infection. The application of NG042-siNS1 either before or after RSV infection significantly attenuates RSV infection and showed a considerable diminish in lung redness, goblet cell hyperplasia and infiltration of inflammatory cells compared to command mice. These surveies showed that siNS1 nanoparticles can be used both prophylactically as a curative agent in infections with RSV in worlds.
Another types of siRNA against RSV were studied by Alvarez et.al. ( 2009 ) . In their surveies they tested 70 siRNA against RSV N, P e L cistrons, they performed this survey in an in vitro RSV plaque suppression assay. Of these 70 siRNA, 19 inhibited plaque formations in more than 80 % compared with a PBS control. And of these 19, the siRNA that show the biggest antiviral activity was ALN-RSV01 ( ALVAREZ et al. , 2009 ) . This siRNA aim the messenger RNA of the RSV nucleocapsid ( N ) protein, this protein has function at many critical stairss in the viral reproduction rhythm including RNA polymerase map ( DEVINCENZO et al. , 2010 ) . The N-protein cistron is among the most conserved across the assorted go arounding RSV isolates, this feature is so of import because allow a broad-spectrum activity of siRNA ( ALVAREZ et al. , 2009 ) . By intranasal disposal to healthy voluntaries at doses up to 150 milligrams daily for 5 yearss was good tolerated, set uping that ALN-RSV01 is safe ( DEVINCENZO et al. , 2008 ) . ALN-RSV01 is stable when administrated locally to the lung and unstable in systemic circulation to cut down any possible systemic exposure, and this characteristic was intentionally designed in the molecule ( ALVAREZ et al. , 2009 ) .
Alvarez et.al. ( 2009 ) studied ALN-RSV01 in vivo utilizing BALB/c mouse. They evaluated the contraceptive and curative consequence and found that ALN-RVS01 is powerful antiviral in both effects, making to 3-log-unit viral burden decreases compared to the decreases reached with either PBS or nonspecific siRNA controls. DeVicenzo et Al. ( 2010 ) tested the antiviral activity of ALN-RSV01 in a randomised, double-blind, placebo controlled test in grownups ( 88 topics ) by experimentation infected with wild-type RSV. The experiment was conducted by the disposal of a rhinal spray of ALN-RSV01 or saline placebo day-to-day for 2 yearss before and for 3 yearss after RSV vaccination. The writers discuss that this research demonstrated that ALN-RSV01 is effectual against the virus when the RSV is inoculated. The hunt does non found that ALN-RSV01 will be efficacious in of course septic patients with established lower respiratory tract disease. So, it is necessary hereafter tests in of course septic patients.
One of the most prevailing infections in homo is influenza virus infection. It is caused by an enveloped virus of the Orthomyxovirus household ( THOMAS et al. , 2007 ) . This infection that ensuing in up 40,000 deceases per twelvemonth in the United State, is worrying because there is the possibility of a new grippe pandemic, because the virulency of grippe A virus is high due to its easy transmittal, antigenic displacement and impetus of the virus, the bing vaccinums are non as effectual and the usage of four drugs approved for intervention are limited because of its side effects and the possibility of immune virus emerging ( GE et al. , 2003 ) . So, the development of an efficient therapy or vaccinum is necessary. An survey tested 20 siRNA against grippe A virus, and found that specific siRNA can halt grippe virus production in both cell lines and embryonated poulet eggs ( GE et al. , 2003 ) . The in vivo surveies besides show that the lung virus titres in influenza-infected mice can be cut downing by the intranasal bringing of plasmids showing influenza-specific siRNAs ( GE et al. , 2004 ) .
Another lung disease that your intervention is being studied through the application of siRNA is Pneumonic Fibrosis. In many ague and chronic pulmonary diseases is commom to go on the fibrin accretion. It was observed that the look degree of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 ( PAI-1 ) is straight correlated with the extent of collagen accumulated that follows lung hurt, so PAI-1 is the chief molecule related to the development of pneumonic fibrosys ( SENOO et al. , 2010 ) . Senoo et Al. ( 2010 ) , studied the consequence of the disposal of siRNA against PAI-1 ( PAI-1-siRNA ) through intranasal path in murine theoretical account of bleomycin-induced pneumonic fibrosys. They chosen this path because old surveies showed to be easy and safe path. The determination consequences demonstrate that the direct disposal of PAI-1-siRNA, in the absence of transfection agents, could cut down the PAI-1 degree in BAL fluid from mice with bleomycin-induced lung hurt. Furthermore, the PAI-1-siRNA when administrated repeatedly, at the beginning of the fibrotic stage of bleomycin-induced lung hurt, was besides effectual in restricting the accretion of collagen in the lungs. So, this scheme seems prevent the development of pneumonic fibrosis and heighten the endurance rate in mice with bleomycin-induced lung hurt and is an interesting therapeutical attack because it will avoid systemic side effects that may be caused by unwritten disposal of a PAI-1 inhibitor.
Therapy based on siRNA besides is being used to handle disease in other animate beings, is being tested siRNA delivered intranasally against an equine pathogen ( Equine herpesvirus type 1 – EHV-1 ) . This virus is dispersed via rhinal secernments and causes respiratory disease, neurological upsets and abortions. The in vitro and in vivo surveies demonstrated that the intervention with siRNA is effectual as a contraceptive and early intervention of EHV-1 infections ( FULTON et al. , 2009 ) .
Refer & A ; Atilde ; ?ncias Bibliogr & A ; Atilde ; ?ficas
1. ALVAREZ, R. ; ELBASHIR, S. ; BORLAND, T. ; TOUDJARSKA, I. ; HADWIGER, P. ; JOHN, M. ; ROEHL, I. ; MORSKAYA, S.S. ; MARTINELLO, R. ; KAHN, J. ; VAN RANST, M. ; TRIPP, R.A. ; DEVINCENZO, J.P. ; PANDEY, R. ; MAIER, M. ; NECHEV, L. ; MANOHARAN, M. ; KOTELIANSKI, V. ; MEYERS, R. RNA interference-mediated silencing of the respiratory syncytial virus nucleocapsid defines a powerful antiviral scheme. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, v.53, p. 3952-3962, 2009.
2. BITKO, V. ; MUSIYENKO, A. ; SHULYAYEVA, O. ; BARIK, S. Inhibition of respiratory viruses by nasally administered siRNA. Nat Med, v.11, p. 50-55, 2005.
3. DEVINCENZO, J. ; CEHELSKY, J.E. ; ALVAREZ, R. ; ELBASHIR, S. ; HARBORTH, J. ; TOUDJARSKA, I. ; NECHEV, L. ; MURUGAIAH, V. ; VAN VLIET, A. ; VAISHNAW, A.K. ; MEYERS, R. Evaluation of the safety, tolerability and pharmacokinetics of ALN-RSV01, a fresh RNAi antiviral curative directed against respiratory syncytial virus ( RSV ) . Antiviral Res, v.77, p. 225-231, 2008.
4. DEVINCENZO, J. ; LAMBKIN-WILLIAMS, R. ; WILKINSON, T. ; CEHELSKY, J. ; NOCHUR, S. ; WALSH, E. ; MEYERS, R. ; GOLLOB, J. ; VAISHNAW, A. A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled survey of an RNAi-based therapy directed against respiratory syncytial virus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, v.107, p. 8800-8805, 2010.
5. DEVINCENZO, J.P. RNA intervention schemes as therapy for respiratory viral infections. Pediatr Infect Dis J, v.27, p. S118-S122, 2008.
6. DURCAN, N. ; MURPHY, C. ; CRYAN, S.A. Inhalable siRNA: possible as a curative agent in the lungs. Mol Pharm, v.5, p. 559-566, 2008.
7. FULTON, A. ; PETERS, S.T. ; PERKINS, G.A. ; JAROSINSKI, K.W. ; DAMIANI, A. ; BROSNAHAN, M. ; BUCKLES, E.L. ; OSTERRIEDER, N. ; VAN DE WALLE, G.R. Effective intervention of respiratory alphaherpesvirus infection utilizing RNA intervention. PLoS One, v.4, p. e4118, 2009.
8. GE, Q. ; FILIP, L. ; BAI, A. ; NGUYEN, T. ; EISEN, H.N. ; CHEN, J. Inhibition of influenza virus production in virus-infected mice by RNA intervention. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, v.101, p. 8676-8681, 2004.
9. GE, Q. ; MCMANUS, M.T. ; NGUYEN, T. ; SHEN, C.H. ; SHARP, P.A. ; EISEN, H.N. ; CHEN, J. RNA intervention of influenza virus production by straight aiming messenger RNA for debasement and indirectly suppressing all viral RNA written text. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, v.100, p. 2718-2723, 2003.
10. GRIESENBACH, U. ; KITSON, C. ; ESCUDERO, G.S. ; FARLEY, R. ; SINGH, C. ; SOMERTON, L. ; PAINTER, H. ; SMITH, R.L. ; GILL, D.R. ; HYDE, S.C. ; CHOW, Y.H. ; HU, J. ; GRAY, M. ; EDBROOKE, M. ; OGILVIE, V. ; MACGREGOR, G. ; SCHEULE, R.K. ; CHENG, S.H. ; CAPLEN, N.J. ; ALTON, E.W. Inefficient cationic lipid-mediated siRNA and antisense oligonucleotide transportation to airway epithelial cells in vivo. Respir Res, v.7, p. 26, 2006.
11. GUTBIER, B. ; KUBE, S.M. ; REPPE, K. ; SANTEL, A. ; LANGE, C. ; KAUFMANN, J. ; SUTTORP, N. ; WITZENRATH, M. RNAi-mediated suppression of constituent pneumonic cistron look by little interfering RNA in mice. Pulm Pharmacol Ther, v.23, p. 334-344, 2010.
12. HOWARD, K.A. ; RAHBEK, U.L. ; LIU, X. ; DAMGAARD, C.K. ; GLUD, S.Z. ; ANDERSEN, M.O. ; HOVGAARD, M.B. ; SCHMITZ, A. ; NYENGAARD, J.R. ; BESENBACHER, F. ; KJEMS, J. RNA intervention in vitro and in vivo utilizing a fresh chitosan/siRNA nanoparticle system. Mol Ther, v.14, p. 476-484, 2006.
13. LI, B.J. ; TANG, Q. ; CHENG, D. ; QIN, C. ; XIE, F.Y. ; WEI, Q. ; XU, J. ; LIU, Y. ; ZHENG, B.J. ; WOODLE, M.C. ; ZHONG, N. ; LU, P.Y. Using siRNA in contraceptive and curative regimens against SARS coronavirus in Rhesus macaque. Nat Med, v.11, p. 944-951, 2005.
14. OZPOLAT, B. ; SOOD, A.K. ; LOPEZ-BERESTEIN, G. Nanomedicine based attacks for the bringing of siRNA in malignant neoplastic disease. J Intern Med, v.267, p. 44-53, 2010.
15. ROSENECKER, J. ; NAUNDORF, S. ; GERSTING, S.W. ; HAUCK, R.W. ; GESSNER, A. ; NICKLAUS, P. ; MULLER, R.H. ; RUDOLPH, C. Interaction of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid with polyplexes and lipoplexes: analyzing the function of proteins and glycoproteins. J Gene Med, v.5, p. 49-60, 2003.
16. SENOO, T. ; HATTORI, N. ; TANIMOTO, T. ; FURONAKA, M. ; ISHIKAWA, N. ; FUJITAKA, K. ; HARUTA, Y. ; MURAI, H. ; YOKOYAMA, A. ; KOHNO, N. Suppression of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 by RNA intervention attenuates pneumonic fibrosis. Thorax, v.65, p. 334-340, 2010.
17. THOMAS, M. ; LU, J.J. ; CHEN, J. ; KLIBANOV, A.M. Non-viral siRNA bringing to the lung. Adv Drug Deliv Rev, v.59, p. 124-133, 2007.
18. ZHANG, W. ; YANG, H. ; KONG, X. ; MOHAPATRA, S. ; JUAN-VERGARA, H. ; HELLERMANN, G. ; BEHERA, S. ; SINGAM, R. ; LOCKEY, R.F. ; MOHAPATRA, S.S. Inhibition of respiratory syncytial virus infection with intranasal siRNA nanoparticles aiming the viral NS1 cistron. Nat Med, v.11, p. 56-62, 2005.